Jul 29, 2014

The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan (The Brothers Sinister #4)

The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan
Genre: Historical Romance
Bottom Line:  This story had a bit too much politics for my tastes and not enough romantic development.

The Brothers Sinister Series
0.5 The Governess Affair
1.   The Duchess War
1.5 A Kiss For Midwinter
2.   The Heiress Effect
3.   The Countess Conspiracy
4.   The Suffragette Scandal
4.5 Talk Sweetly to Me 


Synopsis (Goodreads):

An idealistic suffragette...

Miss Frederica "Free" Marshall has put her heart and soul into her newspaper, known for its outspoken support of women's rights. Naturally, her enemies are intent on destroying her business and silencing her for good. Free refuses to be at the end of her rope...but she needs more rope, and she needs it now.

...a jaded scoundrel...

Edward Clark's aristocratic family abandoned him to die in a war-torn land, so he survived the only way he could: by becoming a rogue and a first-class forger. When the same family that left him for dead vows to ruin Miss Marshall, he offers his help. So what if he has to lie to her? She's only a pawn to use in his revenge.

...and a scandal seven years in the making.

But the irrepressible Miss Marshall soon enchants Edward. By the time he realizes that his cynical heart is hers, it's too late. The only way to thwart her enemies is to reveal his scandalous past...and once the woman he loves realizes how much he's lied to her, he'll lose her forever.



My Thoughts:

I absolutely love Courtney Milan's books, so I was a little surprised when I couldn't really get in to this story. This story followed the story of Frederica Marshall, Oliver's younger sister from The Heiress Effect. Free was another one of Milan's strong, opinionated heroines, which is always enjoyable. However, I just couldn't get in to the relationship between Free and Edward. I think the characters leaned away from the humor that I enjoyed in the rest of the series and more towards the serious issues of the late 1800s. I'll admit, I like to stay as far away from politics as possible, even in my reading. I just couldn't get into all the activism in this story.

The romance was enjoyable in this novel; Edward was very good at saying very very sweet things to Free. However, the attraction between them seemed to be purely based on the fact that they both liked to stir things up in society. I didn't feel that it developed too much beyond that. It was basically, "hey, she's a little crazy. I think I love her." I have always been a fan of Milan's writing style, strong female leads, and sweet heroes. I think the reason this book didn't captivate me as much as her other's had is because her story is beginning to venture into a historical era that I do not enjoy as much as regency and medieval historical romances. That being said, if you are a fan of adding actual history (*gasp*) to your historical romance, this may be a great book for you!


Rating: 6


Find it on: Amazon | Goodreads | Courtney Milan     

No comments:

Post a Comment