Aug 23, 2014

Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews (Kate Daniels #7)

Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Bottom Line: A lot of important issues were finally tied up in this story. This novel seemed like more of a way to bring all these situations we've been waiting for into the series instead of having its own separate plot. 

Kate Daniels Series
0.5 Questionable Client
1.   Magic Bites
2.   Magic Burns
3.   Magic Strikes
3.5 Magic Mourns
4.   Magic Bleeds
4.5 Magic Dreams
5.   Magic Slays
5.5 Gunmetal Magic
6.   Magic Rises
7.   Magic Breaks
7.5 Magic Steals (November 25, 2014)
8.   Magic Shifts (2015) 


Synopsis (Goodreads):

No matter how much the paranormal politics of Atlanta change, one thing always remains the same: if there’s trouble, Kate Daniels will be in the middle of it…

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate’s connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe—especially those closest to Kate.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear…



My Thoughts:

The Kate Daniels series is my absolute favorite series...of all time. I have read the entire series at least three times this year, thus my enjoyment of this book may be a little biased. That being said, this was NOT my favorite of Andrew's novels. In fact, I think it may be my least favorite of the series--hey, some book had to be my least favorite. Before I start out, I fully recommend reading at least the main novels in this series (I haven't read the short stories yet) before picking up this one or I imagine you'll find yourself quite confused. I would describe this plot as "important"; it included all the necessary components to continuing Kate's story, but it was not the most exciting story on its own. The first half of this book was a little slow for me, as we set up the interactions between the pack and the People, but it certainly picked up towards the end. Without giving away any of the plot, I can say that we finally learn a bit more about Roland and how Kate and Curran will be involved with his plans.

I feel like Kate didn't really do anything super reckless and stupid to save the world in this story, which is always my favorite part of these books! Hopefully she's not becoming *gasp* responsible. In all seriousness, there was something different about Kate in this story that I can't put my finger on. I think perhaps her actions became too businesslike to fit with my view of her. Even her interactions with Curran were a little too stiff, and I certainly did not get enough Curran in this book (a selfish complaint, I know). I still enjoyed the humor and excitement in this story, and I am thrilled to see how Kate's story is finally unfurling. I would say, overall, that this novel did more to get me pumped up for the remaining books in the series than actually pulling me into its own plot.


Rating: 8


Find it on: Amazon | Goodreads | Ilona Andrews    

No comments:

Post a Comment