May 13, 2014

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (The Hollows #1)

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison 
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Bottom Line: This story is slowwww to develop.  On it's own, it wasn't great for me, but I'll give this series a second chance.

Rating: 5





The Hollows
1.  Dead Witch Walking
2.  The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
3.  Every Witch Way but Dead
4.  A Fistful of Charms
5.  For a Few Demons More
6.  Outlaw Demon Wails
7.  White Witch, Black Curse
8.  Black Magic Sanction
9.  Pale Demon
10.  A Perfect Blood
11.  Ever After
12.  The Undead Pool
13.  The Witch With No Name (September 9, 2014)

Synopsis (Amazon):


All the creatures of the night gather in "the Hollows" of Cincinnati, to hide, to prowl, to party ... and to feed.

Vampires rule the darkness in a predator-eat-predator world rife with dangers beyond imagining -- and it’s Rachel Morgan's job to keep that world civilized.

A bounty hunter and witch with serious sex appeal and an attitude, she'll bring 'em back alive, dead ... or undead.

My Thoughts:

I started reading this book after I saw The Undead Pool on display at the book store.  I figured "wow, a book with a fun cover on the main display?  Must be an extraordinary series!"  Yeah, I didn't get that from this first book.  This book is supposed to be about a badass witch kicking some supernatural booty.  It seemed more like a mediocre witch getting herself into situations she couldn't get out of...for the first 300 pages.

Rachel Morgan is a "good" witch who quits her job at Inderland Security...basically she's a supernatural bounty hunter.  Problem is, people don't quit the I.S. and get away with it.  She immediately is put under a death threat, and has to fight to survive with only the help of her horny vampire roommate, Ivy, and her pixy friend, Jenks.  Now I liked Jenks in this book.  I think of him as the comic relief.  Ivy, I suppose, would be the drama side of the book, since she's in a constant struggle not to attack her roommate.  In this book, we meet Trent Kalamack: an attractive, rich supernatural of some unknown sort who has a HUGE mean streak.  Ok, this guy is borderline evil...but I am really looking forward to seeing how he interacts with Rachel in the rest of the books.  The scenes with Rachel and Trent were among the only parts I enjoyed in this book.  As for romance?  There is none...I was disappointed, but I suppose the book never really promised me romance, so I can't be too upset.  Perhaps something will develop in a later book?  Please?

Alright, so why didn't I enjoy this book?  It took a good three quarters of this book to get to something exciting.  Rachel is weak...I know not every heroine has to be a warrior princess, but I really wish Rachel had some sort of useful power.  Half the book was her doing something incredibly stupid, then sitting there thinking about it until someone saved her.

Will I continue on with the series?  Yes, I will give the second book a shot, at least.  The Hollows series has 12 books right now.  I feel like in order to support a series of that magnitude, a lot needs to be introduced in the first book.  So I'm going to continue on in hopes that the next book will contain a few more exciting magical adventures...and a bit less sitting around getting to know each other.

Find it on: Amazon | Goodreads | Kim Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment