Sep 18, 2014

Into the Darkness by K.F. Breene (Darkness #1)

Into the Darkness by K.F. Breene
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Bottom Line: If you are up for A LOT of naughtiness and crude language, this story actually has a very interesting plot.

Darkness Series
1.  Into the Darkness
2.  Braving the Elements
3.  On a Razor's Edge
4.  Demons


Synopsis (Goodreads):

Sasha has grown up with one surety: she’s not normal. 

She sees things in the darkness that no one else can see. Mysterious men cloaked in shadow, moving through the night. The problem is, pointing out invisible people is a fast track to a padded cell. Orphaned at age five, Sasha quickly learns an important survival tip: keep her mouth shut and stay out of the spotlight.

Until one night, everything changes. She and her boyfriend, Jared, find themselves stranded on the wrong side of town. Suddenly, the men she was convinced were hallucinations, are very real. And very dangerous.

As a new world opens up around her, she meets him. The Boss. An alpha leader who entrances her mind and tugs on her body. Primal and sexual, his people have a different set of rules. And they don’t always play nice.

As danger rises up around her, her differences may be the only thing that saves her life. She must embrace what she’s tried so hard to hide, while resisting the person her body craves most. Sasha has finally found her shadow men, and they will change her life forever.



My Thoughts:

There were a lot of warnings for this novella about the tastelessness of some of the sexual situations (i.e. non-consensual), but I'm going to be honest with you--I really didn't think it was that bad. I suppose from someone who reads paranormal romances, it's not that uncommon to see magical beings luring humans into sexual situations that they would not otherwise be ok with. Maybe my moral fiber is fraying...but I would say not to let that warning stop you from enjoying this book if you are ok with books pushing the boundaries a teensy bit. Now the "adult situations" warning you can heed. The language in this book is crude and the sex is abundant and a little graphic (ok, VERY graphic). So prepare yourself to either embrace the naughtiness or put up with it and just enjoy the plot.

That being said, I am glad I finally read this novella. It was free on Amazon (and still is I believe), so I just bought it and let it chill on my kindle for a few months. This story introduces Sasha, a seemingly normal human girl who has always had this odd feeling that something is a little different about her. After a run in with a group of not-quite-human men, Sasha and her boyfriend, Jason, are thrown into the world of the "shadow men."

I'll be honest. I'm not a huge fan of Sasha's. She is a little immature and she seems to revel in the fact that she isn't smart, which is a bit of a heroine pet-peeve of mine. But I am a huge fan of the power Sasha discovers she has. The "shadow men" are characterized as a sort of vampiric race, but I'm not convinced that I see them as vampires. I always thought vampires should be undead...I guess they enjoy the sharing of blood, lots of sex, and they're all ridiculously hot, so maybe that's close enough? But the important part is that they have some very neat skills, and they are currently dealing with a vampire turf war.

Overall, this novella was funny, raunchy, and had a surprisingly exciting plot. As I always do, I failed to notice that this was a series of novellas, so I was very disappointed when the story just stopped 200 pages in. So be prepared to pick up the next book in the series right away!  

Rating: 8

Find it on: Amazon | Goodreads K.F. Breene

No comments:

Post a Comment